Thursday, October 30, 2008

Maus 2

I really liked part 2 of this book, because it was well drawn and it really connected me with the Holocaust, even though the characters were animals. I have read other books about the Holocaust, and this one seemed to be one of the more realistic. Somehow, telling the story with mice made what was happeneing seem more real, and not less as I would had expected. This book opened my eyes to the actual fear that the Jews actually had during that time. I thought that the style of pictures and words that Art Spiegelman used in this was very effective, because on one hand, he was telling the story that many other people have told with the Jews suffering in hiding, but on the other hand he made the characters, that were all animals, seem more human than the humans in the other stories of the Holocaust that I have read. Art's modern day descriptions made it even better, because he showed all of the characters' weaknesses instead of just telling about how they were being strong and surviving. I saw some depiction of time on page 25 when he flashes back to the Holocaust telling his son about it. And also as they sit down for breakfast he flashes back from modern time to the Holocaust telling him many details of things that he experienced.

1 comment:

Lauren K. Hansen said...

Good catch on the time changes - these are a huge part of this memoir. With all of the past to present back to past moments, it's interesting to watch the different ways he handles the time changes. Not only with illustrations, but also many times with his father's words.

Also - I completely agree that the choice of animals to portray the characters was brilliant, and certainly helped to bring the story close to home.