Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Bernard Cooper's: 101 Ways to Cook Hamburger

After reading 101 Ways to Cook Hamburger I find my self uttlery shocked by the memoir. I did not expect that story coming from a title about cooking hamburgers. I did although enjoy the story it told. I think that in every class you have a student who is curious of his or her surroundings and lurches around to find unusual things going on. I really liked Theresa Sanchez portrayed as a character above anyone else of her age. Being more safisticated, mature, and having a better understanding of everything around her. It seemed as she was so powerful that when conversing with the boy and asked if he was a fag it almost changed his mind and made him think he was really gay. I don't know if he was ultimately gay to begin with or if her saying that kind of made him question himself. My favorite part was going to Debbie's make-out party which is a typical high school thing, but again it showed the repent of him kissing a girl and the thought of Grady's wet chest everytime he stopped kissing. When he asked his mom what a fag was it seemed he was asking for a sense of acceptance in her eyes. Seeing as he quickly said Bobby Keagon was called a fag and not himself. I thought this story was telling of a confused hard decision that people are forced into making everyday. As I too make these hard decisions I felt connected in a way. I do think it might of been a little over the top to go on about the two teachers being gay as well. Toward the end it kind of threw me off a bit not fully understanding where they were going with the letter from Gerald to Mr. Kendrick. I didn't enjoy the ending as much as the overall story because I felt it got a little to weird. Such as the description of his nights he had thinking of what would have been different if he had just told Theresa he was gay. With that exception I was entertained and it was enjoyable.

No comments: