Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Fishing Story / Bumping into Ravioli

Reading The Fishing Story made me feel a sense of sadness for the grandmother. People around her trying the help with on every occasion, but nothing could save her life. Her family around her having to put up with hearing stories 3 and 4 times in a row in just an example of sadness I felt for her and toward the family. In a way I was a little depressed to see how much she remembered and cared about the people around her she loved and lost. The way she talked about the times she spent with her husband even though they didn't say more than 10 words to each other on their boating trips really had an impact on her. The description of the yard and people were great as I could make out a wonderful picture of the scene. Although I was expecting the end to come I was still sad when her monitor crackled and hummed as a sign she had died in her sleep.

I connected more with the story Bumping into Ravioli. Every kid when they are young make up an imaginary friend they can talk to and play with. Olivia living in New York had trouble making friends probably so she made up a imaginary friend. I suppose living in New York with so much going on is hard for a little kid to take in. Charlie Ravioli always being busy and not being able to play is just her way of expressing living in the city as a child. There was no one to play with or just relax and have fun with. Her parents were mostly busy working and her brother was also on a very busy schedule. This deprived her of having fun with family close to her. Her sister in California thought that the city was making her think of this busy friend because of her surroundings as well. Olivia had a very creative mind making up stories to almost think that Charlie was real. My gut reaction was waiting for Olivia to bring Charlie over for dinner and have a shocking ending. I liked Olivia as a character because she was very spontaneous and creative.

No comments: